Vice President, Media Relations & Enterprise Initiatives
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Public Relations | Marketing
Responsible for managing media relations with a focus on developing the social media strategy while proactively seeking opportunities to further advance AHLA and its mission through partnerships, campaigns and stakeholder engagement. Will oversee the media relations team. Over time, this role will establish and lead a research function to aid all departments in better showcasing value and helping us tell our story to our members, policymakers and other key stakeholders.Responsibilities:
• Create a constant drum beat of media visibility on AHLA’s top priority issues nationally and locally; work collaboratively with the team to advance that effort.
• Annually develop the media/communications strategy to include key metrics and targets.
• Direct the social media strategy to grow our engagement across all channels.
• Grow AHLA’s research function in collaboration with each department.
• Identify new areas of enterprise opportunities to help AHLA expand its presence, reach and visibility.
• Cultivate top tier reporters from mainstream publications (and the key industry trade reporters) to pitch and place proactive stories, shape reactive stories and further deepen AHLA’s cadre of go-to reporters.
• Manage all media relations efforts and guide team on execution.
• Engage, lead and convene consultants, constituents and stakeholders on relevant issues and initiatives.
• Collaborate closely with the Government Affairs team to determine media messages and their timing.
• Monitor press, arrange interviews, draft press and briefing materials, oversee the tracking of coverage.
• Create industry statements, releases, collateral, including speeches or presentations for CEO or Board members.
• Media prep and training of staff, VIPs, CEO and Officers of the Board.
• Lead communications efforts in rapid response/crisis mode as needed.
• Act as a spokesperson when appropriate at the behest of the EVP, Communications & Public Relations.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree required;
• Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in journalism and/or communications;
• Experience working on Capitol Hill, at a PR agency or “in-house” experience preferred.
• Existing press contacts in and outside Washington, D.C.Skills and Attributes:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; with an ability to clearly articulate and connect with reporters and other stakeholders to better tell our story. Must enjoy writing.
• Team player with a high level of professionalism, self-motivation, ability to learn quickly and positive attitude.
• Detail-oriented individual with exceptional organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize work assignments.
• Experienced computer and software knowledge, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact, deliver sound counsel, and gain the trust of senior executives.
• Ability to effectively and efficiently devise and implement strategy.
• Effective management and leadership skills to foster the growth of the media relation team members and cross-collaborate effectively with other departments and Foundation staff.
• Enjoy working in a fun, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and an ability to work both independently and collaboratively across the organization.
• Effective management skills
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
with the subject line: Vice President, Media Relations & Enterprise Initiatives - Candidate Name