3100 Clarendon Blvd, Suite 1300
Arlington, Virginia (United States)
Investigative News Reporter
Charlotte, North Carolina
Online | New Media
Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format to readers around the country and locally, here in Charlotte. Axios Charlotte, formerly Charlotte Agenda, is hiring an Investigative News Reporter for an 18-month contract!
Why it matters: You’ll land daily scoops that build to big investigative reports for our website and daily newsletter on topics that matter for Charlotte readers — from affordable housing to the long-term ramifications of the coronavirus pandemic.
Go deeper: The Investigative Fellow will create big stories in a fast-growing, complex city.
- You’ll hold the powerful accountable and be a voice for the vulnerable.
- You’ll be as comfortable diving through documents as you are sitting with a struggling family or asking tough questions of officials.
- Your stories will reach readers beyond the website and carry over to the Axios Charlotte Instagram account and our newsletter.
- You’ll help make Charlotte a more honest, transparent, interesting city, and you’ll be driven by a desire to make it a better place to live.
Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios Charlotte’s mission. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to break stories and go deeper on long-range investigation projects. Ideal candidates will also have the following skills:
- Experience in investigative journalism
- Positive attitude and ability to thrive in high-pressure news environments
- Highly collaborative mindset
- An understanding of how to distribute coverage people care about across all our social handles, but especially Instagram
- Commitment to the Axios mission and Smart Brevity style
- Competitive salary: $70,000-$80,000
- Terms: 18 months of employment through a Knight Foundation grant
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Weekly company-sponsored exercise and meditation classes
- Virtual company-sponsored social events