Washingtonian is seeking a talented journalist with experience in managing and mentoring writers and reporters, editing narrative and long-form features, and helping to shape the editorial direction of a consumer magazine. This is a senior-level job that reports directly to the editor-in-chief. The Executive Editor's primary job will be to work closely with writers to turn out attention-getting, memorable features in the style and sensibility of the magazine, and across a range of genres and formats. He or she should have excellent reporting instincts, an eye for serious and spirited stories both, and a knack for crafting gripping narratives. The ideal candidate would also have an understanding of Washington’s DNA, and how the town works.
What the job entails:
*Assigning and editing features, special packages, and visual stories for the monthly print magazine
*Managing and, in some cases mentoring, staff and freelance writers with varying levels of experience through all phases of a feature story from idea generation to reporting to writing, and collaborating with writers during multiple revisions
*Constantly recruiting new freelancers
*Collaborating with art and digital teams
*Ideas, ideas, and more ideas
*Occasional editing for the website
*Other responsibilities as assigned by the editor-in-chief.
What you’d bring:
* Minimum of 5 years of editing experience
* Minimum of 3 years of management experience—hiring, firing, and reviewing a staff
* An ability to dream up big ideas and execute them
* An expert comfort level with magazine conceits and storytelling
* A track record of inspiring and coaching writers
* The ability to multi-task and juggle big projects, along with a respect for deadlines
* An understanding and appreciation of city and regional magazines
* Omnivorous interests, including in food, crime, culture, history, and politics
* Applicants must live in the DC/MD/VA area or be willing to relocate.
Washingtonian is a certified woman-owned business that serves a diverse region and we believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce represents the best way to cover that region. We seek a staff with a diversity of life experiences, backgrounds, viewpoints, and professional experiences. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ+ and gender nonconforming candidates to apply. Washingtonian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination or harassment of any kind based on race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or any other protected condition under federal and local laws.
To apply, send a cover letter, résumé, and 5-10 stories you edited (the clips should be hyperlinked or in a PDF format), to email@example.com. Please include your salary requirement. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Powered by Journalismnext