Small but mighty, award-winning editorial team seeks an assistant editor to contribute to our growing roster of print and electronic publications, including ASEE’s flagship Prism magazine as well as reports, newsletters, conference programs, and other materials as needed.
We are looking for a collegial science or education journalist and editor with a talent for words, a thirst for knowledge, a keen eye for detail and accuracy, and capacity for creativity. The ideal candidate should have both news and editing experience, be able to work on and prioritize simultaneous tasks on deadline, and be willing to ask for help or guidance when needed. Sense of humor and passion for the Oxford comma are plusses!
At ASEE, our people are our success, and we place tremendous emphasis on hiring a diverse array of talented, intelligent, and energetic individuals. Everyone is welcome here, and BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ applicants are explicitly encouraged to apply.
ASEE advances innovation, excellence, and access at all levels of education for the engineering profession. Our vision is “Excellent and broadly accessible education empowering students and engineering professionals to create a better world.”
(We are working remotely through at least August 2021.)
· Report, write, and edit Prism articles
· Report, write, and edit e-newsletters
· Copyedit and proofread magazine articles, conference programs, final project reports, and other written materials
· Collaborate with production team on graphics and design
· Write social media posts for Prism
· Contribute to launch of new digital content hub
· Participate in planning of magazine content
· Administrative tasks as needed
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree
· At least two years of experience meeting deadlines in a newsroom or at a magazine
· Demonstrated writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
· Ability to communicate complex and/or technical topics to a lay audience
· Experience with fact-checking and follow-up
· Organized and detail-oriented mindset; excellent time management skills
· Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office
· Working knowledge of Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
· Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or English
· Background in science writing for a general audience
· Working knowledge of engineering and/or higher education
· Experience with Adobe InCopy
· Experience with data/visual journalism
· Experience with photography
· Knowledge of Wordpress, CMS platforms, and basic HTML
· Experience growing followers on social media
· Experience creating content across platforms
· Cover letter and resume
· Two to three writing samples with minimal outside editing
· One to two editing samples with changes tracked
An editing test may also be required.
More About ASEE:
ASEE is a stimulating work environment, a place where excellence is sought and rewarded. We are committed to providing a competitive and comprehensive benefits program to help our employees and their families live healthier lives and maintain financial security for the future. Many of our benefits start on an employee’s hire date and are offered to employees working 20 hours a week or more.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
ASEE is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please e-mail email@example.com. This email is to assist disabled job seekers whose disability prevents them from being able to apply online. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned. Messages left for other purposes, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Powered by Journalismnext