O'Brien Fellows report and produce an in-depth public service journalism project on a regional, national or international topic.
Receive a $70,000 salary stipend and additional support.
Fellows preferably are in residence, but we are now accepting remote or partial remote applications along with full-residency arrangements. The O’Brien newsroom is housed at Marquette University’s Diederich College of Communication near downtown Milwaukee and the Lake Michigan shore.
Publish or broadcast the project through your home news organization or, in the case of independent journalists, another outlet.
Integrate Marquette’s best journalism students into your projects as reporters and researchers.
Help identify a journalism student for a university-funded summer internship at your news organization or other publisher.
* A stipend of $70,000 paid over nine months.
* An allowance of up to $4,000 for reporting travel and another $4,000 for technology, research and equipment for project-related expenses.
* A residency allowance based on family requirements for fellows moving to the Milwaukee metropolitan area.
* A moving allowance between $2,000 and $4,000 depending on family size and distance.
Applications open December 1st, 2020. Deadline is Jan. 23, 2021.
Applicants must have at least five years of professional experience and produce journalism regularly as an employee or freelancer. Applicants may have experience with newspapers, radio, television, online publications, film production, podcasts, wire services, or magazines of general interest. There are no academic prerequisites.
* A proposal to produce a rigorous, multimedia journalism project with the potential to have major impact and identify responses to social problems.
* The capacity to fully integrate, mentor and coach Marquette journalism students assigned to your project.
* The capacity to ensure the greatest possible exposure for the reporting once completed.
An advisory committee consisting of distinguished journalists and Marquette faculty and alumni will review all applications. The committee will offer recommendations to the dean of the College of Communication for final selection.