The KIPP Foundation is seeking a dynamic and visionary communications teammate who will serve as a core member of a growing team charged with both internal and external communications strategy at the KIPP Foundation. This is an opportunity to join a high-performing organization in its 25th year to increase public awareness and understanding of the amazing work taking place across more than 200 schools each day.
The Media Relations Director will drive a proactive national media strategy that builds awareness and understanding of KIPP’s work and brand nationally, and that acknowledges KIPP’s reputational strengths and challenges. The Media Relations Director will bring a strong knowledge of, and relationships with, national, regional, Black and/or Latino and education trade media. Additionally, the Media Relations Director will support crisis management and response for the KIPP Foundation, working with a larger team to implement systematic practices across KIPP’s 29 regions. Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, and working closely a variety of KIPP stakeholders, the Media Relations Director will develop and execute against a thoughtful, annual strategic plan for media relations. The Media Relations Director will be responsible for hiring and managing a Media Relations Manager.
Key Responsibilities and Duties Director of Media Relations will focus on the following tasks, as part of a larger, integrated team-wide communication strategic plan:
● Drive a media relations strategy for the KIPP Foundation and coordinate with KIPP regions to support a coordinated approach to media relations throughout the KIPP network ● Direct proactive and reactive press, pitching and placing stories across all media platforms, including trade, education, Black and/or Latino media ● Collaborate with key KIPP Foundation and KIPP regional stakeholders to develop and roll out a scalable approach to crisis communications for KIPP’s 29 regions ● Provide guidance, counsel on an as-needed basis to regions on crisis communication/brand management ● Provide media training, coaching and talking points for internal KIPP Foundation and KIPP Network stakeholders ● Draft/issue press releases on major announcements and initiatives for KIPP ● Oversee monitoring of KIPP clips and prepare assessments and reports on KIPP’s coverage in earned media outlets ● Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson for KIPP schools ● Coordinate with team members to amplify press and public relations content through social media He/she is a member of the Policy and Public Affairs team, itself comprised of: Communications, Federal Advocacy and Policy, Local Policy, Community Engagement, Marketing and Alumni Impact and Leadership. The Director of Media Relations will work collaboratively within these team functions, and in close coordination with the Office of the CEO.
● Bachelors or equivalent experience required, Masters or equivalent experience desirable
● 7-10 years of experience
● Passion for KIPP’s mission and values and educational equity
● A demonstrated track record of working with contacts at national, regional, trade and Black and/or Latino media outlets to drive an organization’s evolving reputational strategy; experience working with education media a plus
● The ideal candidate will have had a leading role in Media Relations in a large-scale public service organization (eg. a national or regional networked organization).
● Ability to be available as needed during off hours for rapid responses/crisis communications.
● Demonstrated experience supporting C-Suite level leaders with timely decision making on communications
● Effective use of social media to drive an organization’s evolving reputational strategy
● Demonstrated experience collaborating with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment, using a combination of analysis and careful judgment to drive both proactive and reactive communications initiatives and campaigns.