KERA Mental Health Reporter
Job ID: 55183
Job Views: 144
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States
Postal Code: 75201
Job Category: Online/New Media
Employment Type: Full time
KERA seeks a creative, enterprising multimedia reporter to help develop and launch an innovative new mental health initiative. The reporter will build on the success of KERA’s award-winning health/science/technology coverage to pioneer this new beat and deliver insightful and deeply reported stories that will shine a spotlight on mental health issues and tackle misconceptions.
Led by the mental health reporter, the initiative will play out across KERA’s media platforms – primarily radio, digital and social media. The reporter will also take a lead role in public engagement events and videos for digital outlets and television.
Depth, innovation and collaboration will be at the center of this job: The reporter will be equally adept at covering breaking news, creating compelling narratives from deep dives into research, cultivating sources and producing one-of-a-kind audio, video and digital projects. The job will be based in Dallas/Fort Worth/Denton, but will have statewide and national reach: KERA leads the Texas Station Collaborative, and is part of NPR’s partnership with Kaiser Health News.
- Passion for and experience in journalism about health and/or mental health.
- Undergraduate degree in journalism or related field.
- Three or more years of professional journalism experience, and proven research, writing, and reporting skills.
- The highest journalistic and ethical standards, with an absolute dedication to accuracy, fairness and attention to detail.
- Strong audio reporting and production skills, and comfort behind a microphone.
- Eagerness to explore and develop innovative digital, social and video skills.
- Previous experience building a beat, developing topical expertise and bringing a fresh perspective to vital issues, prioritizing impact.
- Ability to generate dynamic, creative story ideas.
- Willingness to experiment with storytelling methods and to adapt to changing platforms and audience needs.
- Agility to shift journalistic modes quickly and nimbly: from deadline reporting to developing explainers; from deep investigative work to producing live events.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity in reporting and sourcing. Ability to work within a diverse team with varying perspectives, ideas and life experience.
- Experience building audiences and communities online, and using connections made within an online community for reporting.
- A commitment to cooperation, teamwork, curiosity, and diversity.
- Deep expertise in mental health issues.
- Proven record of excellence in public radio journalism.
- Knowledge of Texas and particularly North Texas.
- Experience with one or more of the following: multimedia production, particularly photography or video; hands-on audio editing and innovative audio storytelling; working with one or more content management systems; other relevant technical expertise.
How to Apply
- Please provide a cover letter, resume and recent work
- E-mail to: email@example.com
Fax to: 214-740-9323
Mail to: KERA, Attn. Human Resources, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, Texas 75201
North Texas Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Powered by Journalismnext